[Marxistindia] Economy in Doldrums

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Thu Nov 12 16:12:27 IST 2020

November 12, 2020

Press Statement

The Polit Bureau of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) has issued
the following statement:

Economy in Doldrums

The Reserve Bank of India has now officially confirmed the severe
slowdown of the Indian economy and said “India has entered a technical
recession in the first half of 2020-21 for the first time in its
history”.

After the GDP plummeting by 23.9 per cent in April-June quarter, it
has now further fallen by 8.6 per cent on top of this in the quarter
ended September 2020.

This continuous contraction of the GDP is destroying lives,
livelihoods, pushing crores of our people into poverty, hunger and
deprivation. It is no longer a crisis of livelihood: it is a crisis of
survival.

This colossal destruction of the Indian economy by the Modi
government’s policies can only be checked by substantially hiking
public investments to build our much-needed infrastructure, generating
a large number of jobs, leading to boosting domestic demand. This is
the only way to begin any economic revival.

The loot of national assets must be stopped, amassing fortunes through
electoral bonds and PM’s private fund must end. These monies should
instead be used for increased public expenditure, to ensure that no
Indian goes hungry.

For CPI(M) Central Committee Office