[Marxistindia] Against Privatisation of Railways

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Thu Jul 2 14:16:15 IST 2020

July 2, 2020

Press Statement

The Polit Bureau of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) has issued
the following statement:

Privatisation of Railways: Self Subservience, Not Self Reliance

The Polit Bureau of the CPI(M) strongly opposes the decision for
privatisation of the Indian Railways particularly the running of
passenger trains by private investors over the Indian Railways
network. This is the first time that this is happening in independent
India. The private sector utilising the network established over
centuries with all the required infrastructure will run passenger
trains making super profits.

The Indian Railways remains as the most important network uniting our
country and providing public transportation for crores of our people.
The livelihood of crores of our people are dependent on the railways.
Such privatisation undermines the basis of India’s self-reliant economy.

Contrary to the claim that this will boost job generation, past
experience has shown that such privatisation results in a huge job
loss creating insecurity for crores of employees of the Indian Railways.

The Central Government and Prime Minister Modi refuse to learn from
international experience of how such privatisation of public transport
has imposed unprecedented difficulties and burdens on the people. The
Indian Railways is a public service. It is not a profit generating
enterprise. This character cannot be undermined.

This decision has come at a time when the country and the people are
in the midst of a serious effort to combat the surging Covid pandemic.
Globally, as well as in our country, we have seen how reckless
privatisation of health facilities have hampered and adversely
affected the combat against the virus. Health, education, public
transport are public services that need to be strengthened and not
weakened through privatisation.

The Polit Bureau of the CPI(M) calls upon the central government to
rescind this decision.

For CPI(M) Central Committee Office