[Marxistindia] Safety of our People Must be the Main Concern

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Tue Apr 7 17:54:49 IST 2020

April 07, 2020

Press Statement

The Polit Bureau of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) has issued
the following statement:

Safety of our People Must be the Main Concern

Trump’s threat of retaliation for easing restrictions on the export of
vital generic drugs including Hydroxychloroquine is a plain attempt at
arm twisting. The government’s capitulation to this brazen blackmail
undermines the vital concerns in our battle against the viral
pandemic. This also signals yet another surrender to US interests.
In the recent past, our government has shown unplanned fiddling with
the export of all sorts of PPE like surgical masks, gloves,
ventilators etc with a disastrous impact on the safety of our
frontline health workers.
Trump’s threat to India is in tune with the obnoxious attempts to
secure drugs and other pandemic related material and in diverting
supplies meant for other countries in pure self interest.
The Polit Bureau of the CPI (M) demands that this decision is
rescinded in the supreme interest of our people’s health and safety,
which face a major threat from the pandemic.

For CPI(M) Central Committee Office