[Marxistindia] Risks of a Nationwide Blackout

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Sat Apr 4 16:01:27 IST 2020

April 04, 2020

Press Statement

The Polit Bureau of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) has issued
the following statement:

Risks of a Nationwide Blackout

The Prime Minister’s call to switch off lights for 9 minutes on Sunday
night to ‘fight’  COVID-19 poses a real threat to the country’s
electrical system -- the national grid. What could happen to the grid
with the simultaneous switching off and on of all household lighting
load, roughly 15% to 20% of the grid’s power? The grid could turn
unstable and collapse. We could then have a cascading blackout, like
it happened over most of India in July 2012. Bringing the grid
operations back to normal can take at least 2-3 days. Imagine the
consequences for our hospitals, the doctors, health workers and
patients in our crucial battle against COVID-19. Imagine  what would
happen to all of us in the dark, locked up in our houses.

The National and State grid authorities have already warned the
central and state governments of the danger to the grid. The PM should
immediately withdraw this call of a self-imposed blackout of the nation.

If the grid trips, the country will have to face the consequences of
no electricity, and no ability to fight the epidemic till power is
restored. This is a risk that the county, reeling under the current
lockdown and the COVID-19 epidemic, cannot, and must not, take.

(for CPI(M) Central Committee Office)