[Marxistindia] Outrageous not to Discuss Delhi Communal Violence in Parliament

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Fri Mar 6 18:19:55 IST 2020

March 06, 2020

Press Statement

The Polit Bureau of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) has issued the
following statement:

Outrageous not to Discuss Delhi Communal Violence in Parliament

The Polit Bureau of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) is outraged by
the failure of the Lok Sabha and the Rajya Sabha to discuss the ghastly
communal violence in North East Delhi.

The failure to discuss such a humongous tragedy with law and order under the
charge of the Union Government is shameful. This has officially cost 53
lives so far and the numbers continue to grow. It is also not clear what
will be the fate of the large number of missing people.

The failure of the Parliament is particularly scandalous in the light of the
fact that the British House of Commons has discussed this violence three
days back.

It is a matter of deep regret that the status of our sovereign Parliament
during the 70 years as a proud Parliamentary democracy has never faced such
a state of helplessness, using the Holi festival as the excuse to refuse
urgency for being accountable to the legislature.

It is also shameful that the government has passed the buck onto the
presiding officers of the two houses to allow matters to come to this pass.
We believe that this is not acceptable to the people of a functioning
democracy.

(For CPI(M) Central Committee office)