[Marxistindia] Withdraw UGC Circular

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Tue Jun 25 13:26:00 IST 2019

June 25, 2019

Press Statement

The Polit Bureau of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) has issued the
following statement:

Withdraw UGC Circular

The Polit Bureau of the Communist Party of India (Marxist) is deeply
concerned at the effort by the University Grants Commission (UGC) to push
Hindi as a compulsory subject in all Under Graduate courses all across
India.

This is strange in the background of the widespread protest in the country
against the imposition of Hindi as part of the draft National Education
Policy, 2019 which forced the government to beat a hasty retreat. Central
government issued a clarification to settle the controversy for now.
Therefore, the UGC cannot push this agenda, independently.

India is a country of great diversity in language and culture. This attempt,
without a proper process by a statutory body, to impose one particular
national language is only going to stir the hornet's nest among other
linguistic groups. The unity of our people based on the rich diversity in
language and culture will only be disrupted by such efforts.

The CPI(M) appeals to all sections of the people, organizations involved in
the education sector to mobilize public opinion and force the government to
ensure that the UGC withdraws the  circular in order to uphold the unity of
all linguistic and cultural groups of our country.

(Hari Singh Kang)

For CPI(M) Central Committee Office