[Marxistindia] On PM's and Assam Minister's statements violating MCC

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Tue Apr 9 17:42:20 IST 2019

April 9, 2019

Press Release

Shri Nilotpal Basu, member of the Polit Bureau of the Communist Party of
India (Marxist), has written to the Chief Election Commissioner, Election
Commission of India regarding certain brazen violations of the Model Code of
Conduct (MCC) by the Prime Minister, Shri. Narendra Modi and by the Cabinet
Minister of Assam, Shri. Himanta Biswas Sharma. We are releasing the text of
the letter for publication.

(Hari Singh Kang)

For CPI(M) Central Committee office

Dear Shri. Arora ji,

With deep anguish we are drawing your attention to the latest violation of
Model Code of Conduct (MCC) by the Prime Minister, Shri. Narendra Modi. He
is also violating the specific direction of the Election Commission to
refrain from invoking the armed forces for seeking votes.

Today, 9th April, he has asked first time voters to dedicate their votes to
those who carried out the air strike in Balakot. He stated:"Can your first
vote be dedicated to those who carried out the airstrike?", while appealing
to first time voters at a poll rally in Lathur in Maharashtra. We are
appending herewith  media reports to this effect.

We also draw your attention to the brazenly provocative statement of the
cabinet minister of Assam, Himanta Bishwas Sharma who has in his election
campaign asserted that they did not need votes from those wearing 'dhothis
and lungis', alluding to linguistic and religious minorities in the state.
The situation in Assam is quite vulnerable. A custodial death took place in
the Goalpara detention camp run by the state government. The detention camps
for so called doubtful voters were to be dismantled as per BJP's electoral
commitments. However, not only has this assurance not implemented, but new
camps have come up notwithstanding the process of Supreme Court monitored
up-gradation of National Register of Citizens.

We have in the past brought such blatant violations of the BJP and its
leadership to your notice. However, the Commission, in its wisdom, has not
dealt with such acts with any firmness. Reportedly, Yogi Adityanath, the
Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh was treated 'lightly' for his obnoxious
reference to "Modi Ka Sena".

We urge you to strongly initiate appropriate action to stop the pre-election
atmosphere from being vitiated which is fast degenerating towards
polarization based on identity and assertion of national symbol for partisan
electoral interests.

Thanking you,

With regards,

Yours sincerely,