[Marxistindia] Letter to PM -- Kerala Flood Relief

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Tue Aug 21 17:38:55 IST 2018

August 21, 2018

Press Release

CPI(M) General Secretary, Sitaram Yechury has written to the Prime
Minister Narendra Modi today, on the need to enhance the central
assistance given to flood ravaged Kerala as also the other measures that
need to be taken. The full text of the letter is released herewith:

(Hari Singh Kang)
For Central Committee Office

****

Dear Pradhan Mantri ji,

I wished to seek your time to appraise you on my visit to Kerala on August
19-20 and to request the Government of India to consider the following
urgent measures for relief and rehabilitation of lakhs of people who have
suffered this unprecedented damage caused by the recent floods.

People of India were glad that you visited and surveyed the damage. You
appreciated the fact that the state government and the authorities there
have done a tremendous job of rescuing over ten lakh marooned people. This
is a rescue operation of an unprecedented dimension in the recent times.
You have sanctioned Rs. 500 crores of central assistance, but this is
grossly inadequate in the light of the extensive damage that has been
caused. I would request you to increase this amount to Rs. 2000 crores and
urge you to respond positively given the urgency that is warranted.

I had visited the relief camps in three districts including the worst
affected district of Alappuzha. The inmates were satisfied with the
conditions in the camps but were most agonized over the fact that their
homes have been washed away and all their possessions destroyed. Their
overriding concern is how to face the future. Massive resources would be
required for the rehabilitation of these people. Hence the request for the
release of more central funds immediately.

New homes will have to be built for the lakhs of people. Under the central
scheme of Pradhan Mantri Awaz Yojana, substantial funds must be released
for this purpose. I would also urge the Central government to take up this
matter with the United Nations agencies seeking assistance for building
new homes.

These unprecedented floods have destroyed tens of hundreds of bridges and
roads in the state. With 40 of the 41 rivers that flow in the state being
in spate, communications vital for relief and rehabilitation work are
seriously disrupted. In order to rebuild the communication networks it is
urged that the central government agencies like the National Highway
Authority and other central agencies be asked to deploy their resources
and personnel. In addition, the Indian Army’s Engineering Corps and the
Border Roads Organisations which have rich experience in building roads
and bridges under difficult circumstances must be asked to assist the
state governments efforts in this direction.

As the waters recede, serious health concerns will arise. To assist the
state government’s efforts in meeting this situation, the central
government must request the Army’s Medical Corps to be deployed in areas
that the state government would decide and also to request that
institutions like the All India Institute of Medical Sciences to
constitute medical teams to provide relief and prevent epidemics from
arising. The Central government may also approach the World Health
Organisation in this connection for assistance.

The people of Kerala have shown an indomitable spirit and solidarity in
meeting the current challenges. Donations of money and material are
pouring in from various quarters. Medical equipment is also being sent
from organisations of Malayalees in various countries. I request you to
waive the duties on such materials as they are being sent for urgent
relief and rehabilitation work.

You will recollect that during the discussion on the GST Bill I had raised
concerns in parliament on how the state government could raise resources
required to meet such natural disasters. The central government had, then
assured that such provisions would be made when such circumstances arise.
Though no such provisions were provided, now is the time to redeem the
assurance from the government on the floor of the house and allow the
state government of Kerala to take required measures by relaxing the
concerned GST provisions.

The Chief Minister of Kerala has announced that the first Phase of the
rescue operation is more or less complete. Now come the problems of the
next phase concerning rehabilitation; restoring communication links and
overcoming the possible health hazards.

I request you to consider the proposals I have made on these scores with
the seriousness that they merit. Urging you to implement these measures
with the urgency that is required with humanitarian considerations.

Yours sincerely

(Sitaram Yechury)
General Secretary

Shri Narendra Modi