[Marxistindia] CPI(M) representation to CEC on Tripura Assembly election

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Tue Feb 20 15:50:14 IST 2018

February 20, 2018

Press Release

Shri Nilotpal Basu, member of the Central Secretariat of Communist Party of
India (Marxist) met Chief Election Commissioner, Shri Om Prakash Rawat,
today  and expressed certain concerns regarding Tripura Assembly election.
The Chief Election Commissioner assured that these concerns will be
seriously looked into.   We are herewith attaching the text of the letter
submitted to the CEC and the representation of Tripura State Committee,
CPI(M).

***

Dear Sir,

We are constrained to draw your attention to certain critical issues
pertaining to the Assembly elections of Tripura held on February18, 2018.

Despite expressing our concerns over the presence of outsiders, major
display of money power and on the functioning of the EVM - VVPAT units, some
substantial  issues have arisen in course of the polling.

We are hereby forwarding a detailed representation by the CPI(M) Tripura
State Committee which has already been marked to you.  But to further
highlight the issues, we are urging your immediate intervention on these
critical questions.

            With regards,

Yours sincerely

Sd/-

(Nilotpal Basu)

Member, Central Secretariat

Text of  CPI(M) Tripura State Committee's letter to Chief Election
Commissioner

19th February, 2018

Sir,

            The General Elections to Tripura Legislative Assembly was held
yesterday (18.2.2019) maintaining by and large the state's tradition of high
turnout in a peaceful festive atmosphere except some untoward incidents of
attack, intimidation, prevention in coming to polling booths etc. But
yesterday's election in the state raises many questions and suspicions in
the minds of the people.

1.      Firstly, there were failure of EVMs (the entire apparatus of control
unit, ballot unit and VVPAT) in large number of booths. Out of 3174 polling
booth of 59 Assembly segments, EVMs got disordered in 519 polling booths
i.e. 16.35% which is really unusual. In some booths the machines were first
tried to repair.  Even after repairment the EVMs got repeatedly out of
order. Large number of machines, either Control unit or ballot unit or
VVPATs were replaced by another units. In many booths, even the replaced
units also failed to function properly.

2.      The voters started coming in the booth from dawn. Due to EVM
disorder in many Booths polling could not be started in time. In some booths
polling had to be started 3/4 hours late. Naturally the voters queue got
longer. Being displeased over the delay many voters including aged and sick
persons went back. However, some of them came to the booth in the later
hours. Due to the EVM malfunction, in many booths polling continued even at
midnight.

3.       On 17th February, the previous evening of the poll day, the some
Engineers, according to the state Election Authority, ECL Engineers, opened
up all the ballot units of 58-Panisagar A/C,  12 ballot Units of of
56-Dharmanagar A/C and 3 of 57-Jubarajnagar A/C. This happened in absence of
any political party representatives. This has created mystery because, after
setting of candidates in the ballot unit in RO's office, no one have the
authority to open the machines. It is still mystery what did the Engineers
do to the machines. Such opening up of machines was not required in any of
the assembly segments where polling held on 18.2.2018. CPI(M) candidate and
his election agent vehemently protested against this to the RO. From the
CPI(M) state committee office clarification was sought from the Chief
Electoral Officer, who said that due to shortage of Engineers they had
started checking these EVMs from the pre-poll day evening. But why such
check up of EVMs required only in 56-Dharmanagar A/C was not clarified. This
is still a mystery.

Much before the poll day, CPI(M) was demanding to the state Election
authority to strengthen area domination in some areas of 12-Takarjala(ST)
A/C which was very troublesome. CPI(M) candidate was repeatedly obstructed
during campaign period. Our supporters were threatened not to go out on poll
day by the miscreants of IPFT(NC) whose core demand is to split the state
and which is an electoral ally of the BJP. We put our submission in this
regard even to the Special observer Mr. R.K. Panchananda on 17th February.
In spite of that our apprehension came to be true on the poll day.
Initially, our polling Agents were prevented from entering booths. A good
number of our voters were prevented from going to the booths. Our party
symbol in EVM was kept covered in two booths for a considerable time. In one
polling booth our Polling Agent was forcibly driven out of the booth. We
sought re-poll in following three booths of this A/C.

i) Booth No. 5, Ratanpur High School (Uttarangsha)

ii) Booth No. 6, Ratanpur High School (Dakshinangsha)

iii) Booth No. 37,  Kupilong J. B. School (Paschimanganga)

4.      In spite of the direction from the Election Commission India, the
outsiders mostly from Assam, West Bengal and from some Hindi-speaking state
stayed in Tripura on the poll day. Most of them were housed in various
hotels, guest houses and houses of BJP leaders and workers.  One Sri Pallav
Lochan Das, a Minister of Assam was found hiding in a house at a remote
village of Gandachhara with a heavy suitcase on 17th February night. Instead
of taking legal step against him and searching the suitcase in his
possession, the police let him go out of the state. On the poll day, BJP
leader and Finance Minister of Assam,  Himanta Biswasharma was found
visiting the booth offices of his party at 4-Barjala(SC) constituency. One
Ajoy Sharma, so called 'Bistarak' of the BJP, Assam unit, was arrested in
34-Rajnagar(SC) A/C from the house of BJP workers Ranjit Sarkar. Many BJP
workers from outside the state hold up in many BJP offices including their
state headquarters.

5.      BJP Advertisement containing allurement and false contents alleging
the Left Front and Left Front Government got certified by the MCMC even on
17 and 18th February. In one such Advertisement certified by MCMC,  BJP
informed that they would keep watch over 3000 polling booths through their
own camera. Though there is no rule in the People's Representatives Act, the
MCMC allowed such Advertisement motivatedly to mislead the people so that
the electors are scared of apprehending their secrecy of vote would not be
secured.

6.      Web casting system has been introduced in the state for the first
time. This is to centrally monitor to the proceedings of poll in all the
polling booths. Contract of the task was given to one company in Guzarat.
The Contract-holder sub-let the task to Soumen Paul who happens to be state
Committee member of BJP. Soumen Paul engaged his trusted BJP followers to
cover webcasting in each booth of the state. BJP Advertisement indicated
that BJP would keep watch over all the polling booths through these
Webcasting cameras which are practically in the hands of the BJP workers.
>From the BJP Advertisement, we suspect that the BJP leaders got secret code
or passwords to access the cameras which were recording the proceedings of
the poll inside the polling booths. This is just unfair.

7.      In the evening of poll day i.e. 18.2.2018, the election Agent of
CPI(M) candidate from 17-Golaghati(ST) Sri Pulin Bardhan was attacked by the
IPFT(NC) and he received grievous injury and the para-military forces
launched an unproved attack on Left Front sponsored Forward Bloc candidate
from 8-Town Bordwali constituency Sri Biswanath saha. Both are now under
treatment in G.B. Hosptial.

8.      In view of all these eventualities, we are demanding to your kind
self to conduct a through inquiry into the violations of the People's
Representative Act. 1951 in this election in Tripura and urging upon you to
count the VVPAT slips in following Assembly constituencies.

            58-Panisagar

1-     Simna(ST)

56-Dharmanagar

12-Takarjala (ST)