[Marxistindia] Memo to ECI on Darjeeling Situation

news from the cpi(m) marxistindia at cpim.org
Sat Apr 25 14:18:32 IST 2009

Memo Submitted to the Election Commission by Sitaram Yechury on the
Situation in Darjeeling

April 25, 2009

Shri Navin B. Chawla
Chief Election Commissioner
Election Commission of India
Nirvachan Sadan
Ashoka Road, New Delhi

Dear Shri Navin Chawla,

I was recently in Darjeeling to address an election meeting of the CPI(M)
candidate on April 21, 2009.  Such a meeting could be held after some
years  due to the fact that the Gorkha Janmukti Morcha spearheading the
movement for a separate `Gorkhaland' had created an atmosphere of fear and
terror threatening any one opposing them of grave consequences if they
held any political rallies in the hills.

I wish to complement the CEC  also for creating an atmosphere which has
permitted the possibility of  holding such meetings.

You will recall that I had met  you and your colleague Shri Quraishi on
April 7, 2009  and handed over a memorandum requesting the CEC to take
certain measures to ensure a free and fair election in these hills.  I had
also submitted a CD recording an inflammatory speech  of Shri Bimal
Gurung.

During the course of my visit, various sections of the people had brought
to my notice many instances of terror that may prevent the conduct of a
free and fair election.  I am summarising some of the major  suggestions
that I had received.

I would be grateful if the EC could give a serious consideration to the
following.

1.The EC must immediately launch a more intense campaign with wider reach
to assure the people that their votes would remain secret.  This is
imperative to dispel fears that  the voters could be identified
subsequently and harassed/attacked etc.
2.CRPF should be deployed as early as possible in the hill areas and flag
marches undertaken to restore voters' confidence

3.The Gorkha Land Personnel (GLP) camp at Gorubathan must be immediately
dismantled and proceedings drawn up as per the law of the land against all
the personnel involved in the camp, as  trainers, trainees and
administrative. Please ensure that no civilians are allowed to wear/use
Army fatigues.
4.The CRPF should be maintained  beyond the date of the election, April
30, 2009, to prevent post-poll violence that we apprehend, and to keep
pre-poll peace that the people desire.

While complementing the EC for the conduct of election so far,  I am sure
that these suggestions would be seriously consider to further improve the
conduct of free and fair elections.

	With regards,

Yours sincerely

(Sitaram Yechury)

Copy to:
1)Shri S. Y. Quraishi, Election Commissioner, Election Commission of
India, New Delhi
2)Shri V. S. Sampath, Election Commissioner, Election Commission of India,
New Delhi